Life with Braces: Food and Habits You Need to Avoid
Braces are attached to your teeth with glue, and that bond can break if you are eating food that is hard on your braces. If this happens, you will need to visit your doctor.
Food You Must Avoid While Wearing Braces
- gum (sugarless gum is ok)
- hard pretzels
- chewing on ice or hard candy
When preparing your food, it is best if you make them into manageable bite-size pieces. Here are a few reminders when preparing your food.
- cut up meats into small pieces
- cut meats off the bone, including ribs and fried chicken
- section apples, pears, and oranges
- cut corn off the cob
- cut salad items into small pieces
- scroll-cut carrots
- cut or tear pizza, bagels, and crusty breads into small, bite-size pieces.
Habits to Avoid
- biting pens or pencils
- fingernail biting
- fingerpicking at your braces